“You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to [the] poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” - Mark 10:21

Do you remember a time when you loved something so much that you wouldn't let go of it but you needed to give it up? It could be your lucky charm since you were a child. It could be a shirt which someone special gave to you. However, Jesus is telling us to detach from material possessions. Our Lord said, "Go, sell what you have, and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me."

In our generation today, it’s hard to let go of material possessions. Everyone, especially the youth, is so attached to it particularly to technology. To some, having many expensive things can bring fame and popularity. So who could resist, right? Who wouldn't want to be rich, famous and popular? But it shouldn't be like this. We should humble ourselves down and set Jesus as our example for He gave up everything, even His life, for me, for others, and for you.

Jesus said, "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God." The disciples said in reply, "Then who can be saved?" To this question, Jesus answered, "For human beings, it is impossible, but not for God. All things are possible for God." Jesus' answer is what gives us hope that we can be saved.

As someone part of the youth, I am also having a difficult time in giving up my material possessions. I think that everything that I have is what I need. And I know that is not true. God's love is what I really need in my life. It is what we need in our lives.


As what was said in a movie, "It is the choices that we make that make us who we are." If we choose to detach from things, then we are choosing to show humility as we bow down to God. It is because of God that I am the person that I am today and I am truly grateful to Him because of that.

-Reggie Jaleco

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Jn 6:60-69)

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Mk 7:18, 14-15, 21-23)

Us and Our God Against the World