"Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.” -Luke 7:47

Underserved love yet, given freely.  

Ever since before, I've been really confused as to what this passage really means.  I understood it like this:  "The heavier the weight of the sin, the more your gratitude & love to our forgiving God." But is it really about the weight of the sin? Do we need to undergo a shameful bad past just to show a greater love & gratitude to God? Or is it about how we PERCEIVE what God has done for us? 

In Jesus' parable, there were 2 debtors who owed money. They were both sinners(debtors). Undeserving of the love of God (the moneylender). No human action, no number of rules obeyed, could ever make them be worthy enough to "claim"  Gods love. It was out of Gods mercy and kindness that they were forgiven. And through the love we have received from God, we become able to love God back. 

In the Gospel, there are 2 main characters who encountered Jesus:  Simon the Pharisee (Not Simon Peter) and the sinful Woman.

A Pharisee is someone who strictly obeys Jewish tradition & laws. He has the tendency to becomes self-righteous... Thinking he is better than others. He thinks he's too superior & too 'holy' to mingle with lowly people. 

On the other hand, the sinful woman in the Gospel is someone who is known by all for having a dirty sinful life.  Obviously, sirang sira na ang reputasyon niya sa town na yun. But despite her sinfulness, she humbly went to God and asked for forgiveness. 

There was a time in my life when I was like the Pharisee. I invited Jesus in my life. But something held me back from receiving His love & mercy. It was my very self. I call this stage of my life "being proud & self-righteous". I felt like I was too clean na. Too good that I can only count the "few minor" sins I make each week. I compared my life to others. Feeling ko holy na ako. Dahil sige man din ako go sa church, naga serve ako through BLD, gina follow ko commands ni God & overall mabait ako na person, feel ko 2 or 3 lang talaga ang ma confess ko na sin. Petty pa talaga. In short, I became a self-righteous person. I have forgotten were this goodness came from. I have forgotten to be grateful of God's power working in me, molding me into a better person. I have forgotten to be grateful of God's unending mercy.

And because I perceived my sins as "little", I wasn't that thankful to God. I wasn't able to show much love. 

On the other hand , I was like the Sinful Woman too. Not because we have the same dark past (perhaps she was a drunkard, prostitute, adulterer or murderer). But because many times in my life, I felt dirty. I felt ashamed of what I've done wrong. I shouted back at my mom. I lied a lot. I cursed. I led people to sin. I hurt my brother and sister. I was selfish and impatient. 

These are not major sins that require me to confess them to the Pope; but these are sins that I truly regret. Not have I only sinned against the people around me, but also to our God Almighty. I ought to be a changed person, but I keep falling in to sin.

But it is truly a humbling experience when I come before God and confess my faults. Just the like the sinful woman, all I could do is cry before God and ask for mercy. Yet despite all that I have done wrong, He still listens. He comforts me. He takes away my guilt. He gives me a fresh start. We are indeed blessed to have a Loving God who doesn't look on our sins, but in our faith.

So you see, whether you feel like the Pharisee who is self-righteous, a person who only has "minor sins", or like the sinful woman who carries a lot of sin, it all boils down to this: When you commit a sin, it is not about the weight of your sin, but how you perceive what God has done for you. Although undeserving, God forgave you & made you a new person. Not by your acts but by His own Mercy and Kindness. Underserved love yet, given freely.  

Now, God is still waiting for you. Will you  show him back much love ? :)

-Leizel Mae Taton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Jn 6:60-69)

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Mk 7:18, 14-15, 21-23)

Us and Our God Against the World