“I am the handmade of the Lord; let it be done to me as you have said.” –Luke 1:38

In today’s gospel, it focuses on how Mary accepts God’s commands. God sent Angel Gabriel to a young virgin named Mary. Mary was troubled at the Angel’s words but the angel said “Do not fear, Mary, for God has looked kindly on you. You shall conceive and bear a son and call him Jesus. He will be great and shall rightly be called Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the kingdom of David, he will rule over the people of Jacob forever and his reign shall have no end.” The Angel had also explained that the Holy Spirit will come upon her and the power of the Most High will overshadow her and when the holy child is to be born he shall be called the Son of God. With these being said, Mary had no hesitations, no questions further asked. She replied “I am the handmade of the Lord; let it be done to me as you have said.”

I couldn't say that Mary was brave enough to accept it; you see as human beings we are innate to be afraid and unsure. We have a lot of questions in mind; what, how, where, when and why. We always hesitate, always have second thoughts. We consider almost everything, like what other people say and think. Sometimes, we even question God why. And that’s the great thing about Mary, even as human she didn't even question God why her, why now, why not another woman. She fully accepted to bear Jesus, the Son of God. And that’s where I could say that it wasn't just pure bravery that Mary has exemplified. It wasn't bravery that was overflowing within her; it was a very deep and great Trust and Faith in God. With this strong belief, she never hesitated, took faith and believed in God.

As a college student, this is the stage where I felt a huge weight on my shoulders. From family, friends, my course, Y.E. family, to Red Cross and Frisbee tournaments.  All the pressure, all the stress, all the disappointments and worries has all summed up. I had to think silently almost every day on how to deal with all those stuff. And the feeling like it’s exploding within me; I couldn't tell it to anyone and have to keep it to myself. There really is a time where I could say that I really want to give up. I don’t want to worry and be a disappointment anymore. But how can I give up on the things that are also the reasons why I am striving? That’s one of the questions that pop out of my mind every time I pray and talk to God. The reason why I didn't explode despite the fact that I kept it all to myself is because I felt assurance. Each and every time I tell all my worries to God, I know and feel that he has always something better in store for us.

You see I have a lot of things on my schedule, I feel like it is impossible for me to attend to it all. Like how on earth can I fit all my activities in one smooth sheet? But I lay it all down to him and he alone makes it possible so that I shouldn't worry about it. This is a simple example that if we just trust and have faith in God, everything will come next smoothly. Like Mama Mary, we shouldn't hesitate or ask God on why tough things are coming our way. For God always has his plans, we just need to learn and remember to trust him in every way.


God bless! =D

-Nica Morales

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Jn 6:60-69)

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Mk 7:18, 14-15, 21-23)

Us and Our God Against the World