He was not the light, but came to testify to the light. - John 1:8

"A man named John was sent from God. He came for testimony, to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to testify to the light. He said, "I am the voice of one crying out in the desert; make straight the way of the Lord."

Today’s Gospel is a very meaningful one. Let me share you an experience of mine. When I was still studying at Davao Doctors College, I was really uncomfortable wearing my uniform - typical all white med student uniform with black shoes, whenever I had to go to malls after my class. I remembered a time when I was strolling at Abreeza Mall. I was at the ladies section of the department store looking for a possible birthday gift for my friend when a middle-age woman approach me and said, "Day, paki-limpyo gud sa salog didto-a. Naay hugaw kay nabubo ang softdrinks sa bata." I turned my back and looked at her. With a tough voice, I said, "Sorry po Maam. Pero studyante po ako ng Davao Doc. Radtech po ang course ko. Hindi po ako nagwowork dito sa mall." Naku naman po, she really thought I was one of the janitors in that mall. Another same incident at the same mall happened. But this time, it was the worst. Usually, when I go to malls, I immediately go to the comfort rooms. After I peed and opened the cubicle, there's this lady who said, "Miss, paki mop sa diri kay nag over flow ang tubig." I just smiled and said, "Sorry po Maam, student po ako." and walked away. There's this also incident but in a different mall. My mom and I had to go to the grocery for our sari-sari store. By the time we are about to pay, I usually unload the groceries in the cart and put that in the counter. After that, I will stay at the end of the counter waiting for my mom to pay. The cashier told me, "PSST! Ikaw sa mag pack beh. Nag out pa man gud akong packer." Not knowing that my school uniform is the same uniform with the packers. I looked at my mom and we just laughed that incident away.

Based on my funny experiences, there will always be a time in our life when other people know us in a different identification. Kung sa tagalog pa, ang pagkakakilala sa atin ng mga tao ay iba. Just like in the gospel reading, the Jews from Jerusalem thought John the Baptist was Christ. But John the Baptist admitted and did not deny that he was not Christ and rather said he came to testify to the light. Maybe like me, just because my school uniform has similarities in other uniforms, some thought I was a janitor or a grocery packer. But then I said, I was not a worker and I was a student of an institute. 

So as you can notice, even though others known us differently, we always stand out and tell them who we really are. We redeem ourselves by saying who we are working for or where do we study. Because we don’t want us to be misidentified. Because we are proud for where we belong. Just like in our community, the BLD YOUTH, be proud that you are part of this community. Preach the good news of God. Show others the light. Because like John, he may not be the light but he claimed that he is the voice of one crying out in the desert so that we can make straight to the way to the Lord. 

Have a blessed sunday. JIMLY :)


-Inna Quintela

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Jn 6:60-69)

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Mk 7:18, 14-15, 21-23)

Us and Our God Against the World