“I am baptizing you with water, but one mightier than I is coming. I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals. He will baptize you with the holy Spirit and fire. - Luke 3:16

Today marks the end of the end of the Advent Season—when the people effortlessly remembers to appreciate the nativity of Jesus Christ and spreading love and His words comes easily. Today also marks the day when we are reminded of the challenge to do our duty as Christians; that when things don’t go easily, striving to be Christ-like should still become a priority.

The Lord sends us His gift through today’s readings as He says in IS 42: 1-4, 6-7 I, the LORD, have called you for the victory of justice, I have grasped you by the hand; I formed you, and set you as a covenant of the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness.”

After reading this verse, I thought to myself, how do I become a light for the nations when I oftentimes find myself in the dark? How do I open the eyes of the blind when there are still much that I have yet to fully understand? How do I bring out prisoners from confinement and from the dungeon when I, myself, became a prisoner of my own sinfulness? And how do I become an effective servant of God when I question all of these even after God assured me that He has grasped me by the hand and formed me Himself?

This brings us to believing that Jesus Christ came to Earth to save sinners even when we have come to a time where Christians are stereotyped. If a modest, shy or super nice person admits that he’s a Christian, people would nod their heads thinking “kaya pala.” But when someone outgoing, straightforward and unconventional admits that he’s a Christian, especially some who’s devoted, people would raise an eyebrow and would even think you’re joking.

I am a sinner and I have failed for a hundred times but I want to follow Jesus and tell the world about it. I will continue doing so because God promised in ACTS 10:34-38 “He went about doing good and healing all those oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.” So what should I fear? Why should I doubt myself? And why should I let the people who do not believe yet deter me from becoming a true Christian? God is with me, as He was with Jesus Christ.

The people were filled with expectation, and all were asking in their hearts whether John might be the Christ. John answered them all, saying, “I am baptizing you with water, but one mightier than I is coming. I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” –LK 3:15-16, 21-22

And in rendering our service to God, we are invited to be become like John the Baptist: still in serving God. If he was an opportunist, he could have taken the chance to let people follow Him instead of following the command of God.

Being a Christian does not give as a VIP Pass. We all know that as we serve God, the attacks of the other side doubles. But God is with us and the challenge should not, in any way, defeat us.

- Iana Ilaya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Jn 6:60-69)

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Mk 7:18, 14-15, 21-23)

Us and Our God Against the World