"For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood.” - Mark 12:44

I’m sure most of us are guilty of “people watching”. When we’re bored alone or waiting for someone, we’re often left with our own imagination as a source of entertainment. By people watching, we merely partake in the act of observing others (usually, in hopes that they do something entertaining). I remember back in high school, I would often get picked up late after dismissal and was left to wait along the hall near the main door of the school. Instead of using this time to be productive and do my homework, I passed the time watching the people who came in and out of the door instead. Sometimes, I would wonder where some of them were going, or why some of them were smiling, or what some of them were thinking. I learned that you could learn a lot about some people just by watching them. For example, I once saw one of the “weird” kids in class waiting for her ride near the entrance door one day. She often stayed silent in class unless spoken to and would often doodle to pass the time in class. As I was sitting in my usual spot, I heard her call someone on her cell phone. I don’t know who she was talking to, but I was able to hear her conversation very well. The way she spoke surprised me, since she spoke so happily and even laughed a lot through the conversation. She spoke excitedly about people I didn’t know, and she even mentioned going to a party and doing silly things with her friends. Knowing the kind of person she was in class, I would never have known these things even if I wanted to. If you spoke to this girl in class, she would just say a few words without even looking you in the eye. But here she was in front of me, bubbly as ever. It’s amazing how people can show their true nature in the comfort of their solace.
   
     Similarly, in today’s reading, Jesus also partakes in people watching, as he observes the different people who put money in the church’s treasury. Jesus notices the larger amounts of money that the rich put in the treasury, but remains silent. Instead, his only remarks arise when a poor widow puts in two small coins. He acknowledges the woman’s generosity, for although she gave the least amount of money, she gave the most out of her pocket. Whereas the richer people still had money to spare, the woman was left no money at all because she gave it to the church. Because of her gesture, Jesus commends the woman, suggesting her donation signified more than just monetary value; it signified sacrifice.


        In our own lives, we need to ask ourselves, “How much am I really giving to God?” Not just in church, but in our daily thoughts and actions. Do I allot enough time to reflect on God’s blessings for me every day and praise Him? Do I make time once a week to go to church? Do I choose to be more like God, or do I allow myself to fall into the hands of sin? Often times, we choose to ignore and neglect our responsibilities to Our Heavenly Father and pursue our other interests. We choose our hobbies, our friends, and even our vices over our faith. We need not forget our gratitude and our need to sacrifice. If we just keep accepting and taking, doesn’t that make us selfish? God knows how much we give him not by what we offer but by what we choose to keep. It takes a great amount of faith to give it all up to God, but He assures you that He will provide all your needs for as long as you continue to be faithful to Him and seek more of Him.

-Caitlin Oliveros

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Jn 6:60-69)

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Mk 7:18, 14-15, 21-23)

Us and Our God Against the World