"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him." - John 6:56

I believe that God has a very unique way of speaking to us if we just know how to listen.

“He, therefore let you be afflicted with hunger, and then fed you with manna, a food unknown to you and your fathers, in order to show you that not by bread alone does man live, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of the Lord.” – Deuteronomy 8:3

Our life is full of twists and turns. It was never meant to be perfect. Many times, we encounter a series of emotions. We feel happy, excited,  jubilant for a moment and after, we feel hurt, sad, lost. We can never be ahead of what life has to offer us. We can only wait and accept what is there to come.

But it was written that our afflictions, our sufferings are a way of letting us understand that we cannot be strong enough if what we allow to sustain us is mere food and anything that can satisfy us physically. Yes, we may be strong to overcome our daily obstacles, but we will never feel the total satisfaction unless we turn to God and acknowledge His power over everything that happens in our lives. The words of God are words of life. And it shall keep us going and keep us together in difficult times especially when we are about to lose ourselves.

In the second reading, St. Paul is telling us that we are one body in Christ. As Christians, we are united through Christ. In John 15:5 Jesus says, “I am the Vine and you are the branches. He who remains in me and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from me you can do nothing.” There have been a lot of passages that tells us that we are part of Jesus. “Anyone who eats my body will never hunger. Anyone who drinks my blood will never thirst.” “Anyone who believes in me will never die.” We are a living testimony of what Christ is. Therefore, it is our privilege and responsibility to let ourselves be a good testimony for other people to see. If we, followers of Christ, fail to let other people see through us, what Jesus is, then what picture of Jesus will others who doesn’t know Christ see?

In the gospel, it was being pointed out by John that Jesus is the bread of life. Of course we were all taught about this concept. Jesus is the bread of life. He is the bread that came down from heaven for us to partake. Whoever eats this bread will live forever.

Lately, I have been struggling with self-worth issues. I know some of you might have experienced this too. And at times I wonder and ask, “Why do I even feel this way?” or “Why do I even have to go through this?”
Sometimes, we ask a lot of “why’s” in our lives. Sometimes, we are not even sure of what we are doing or where we are heading. But today, we are reminded that all throughout our lives, there is someone who is always there for us if only we let Him in. We are given our weaknesses for us to be able to be reminded that we cannot depend on our strength alone. We are experiencing difficulties because He wants us to find refuge in Him. We are experiencing pain because He wants us to seek comfort in His arms. We are experiencing joy because He wants us to celebrate life with Him. “in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18)   

Do you know that the Bible holds at least 5000 promises from God? And every emotion we are able to feel, there is a corresponding promise or reassurance from the Lord.  My personal favorite is from 1 Peter 5:6 which says “Cast all your worries upon Him because He cares for you.” 

Challenges, obstacles, afflictions, pain, sufferings, and whatever other feelings of the like that you felt, you are feeling and will be feeling in your life… never forget that these are all reminders to you from God that you can do all things with Him who gives you strength.

We are given a chance to know Christ. I end my reflection with these three points: 1) To partake of the body of Christ, 2) To listen to His words, and 3) To be one in Christ.

Know Jesus because He wants to know you too. Never neglect the importance of the scriptures, attend mass, read the bible, listen to what God is telling you. Sometimes, you think you don’t hear Him but He is actually speaking loud enough. You just got to listen through your heart. Be one in Christ just as we are one in this community.

This ministry has been a gift to me since 2007. It has been seven years since my youth encounter weekend but I can firmly say that I have been blessed since the first day until today and will continue to be blessed for the coming days. We are one body in Christ. I am honored and happy to be part of you and hoping you are happy to be part of mine too.


Brothers and sisters, God knows what He is doing. When you can’t trace His hand, trust His heart.

-January Santiago

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Jn 6:60-69)

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Mk 7:18, 14-15, 21-23)

Us and Our God Against the World