The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" And the Lord said, "If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you." - Luke 17:5-10

This Sunday's gospel scripture talks about faith. Faith is a well-known gift from God. It was already involved in our lives and we are truly baptized in a church as well. Faith  grows in a different groups and situations. It also grows in church communities, in the parish, in the school, and in the family.

In the gospel  scripture, it also mentioned that the Lord said, "If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you." The mustard seed, which the Lord used for giving a simile to faith, is one of the smallest seed in the world with a diameter about 1 to 2 millimetres.

Now, why did the smallest seed became a huge mustard tree? Well, when people kept cultivating the mustard seed, there was a biggest chance that a seed will grow into a huge tree. Just like faith, if we keep on cultivating it even through our own little ways like praying, then there is a high chance that it will grow and grow until it reaches its peak.

To understand deeply this gospel, I will share some of my past experiences. Before I joined YE, I don't have the time to pray either at home or at school and I sometimes become sleepy while participating in the Holy Rosary or a nine-day novena with my family at home every night. I felt like my faith to God is still tiny but when I was able to join YE in the year 2016, I started to cultivate my faith by praying to God in both at home and at school for guidance and protection to myself, my family and also my education. I also prayed to God to thank Him and say sorry for what I have done. I became active and participative of praying the Holy Rosary or a nine-day novena with my family at home every night.

As all of us were spending time in prayer, God draws our attention to our lives and hope and our faith becomes stronger as we learn to trust in God and ourselves.

Christine Gempesaw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Jn 6:60-69)

SUNDAY REFLECTION (Mk 7:18, 14-15, 21-23)

Us and Our God Against the World